A Little Teaser -- Left over from the Panda

General discussion about Hi-Fi, vacuum tubes and DIY Kits.

A Little Teaser -- Left over from the Panda

Postby brian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:40 am

Sometime ago I mentioned that we would be using more bamboo in our products. You may have seen the Feastrex speaker box that we had made -- it worked out very well.
This is what the next-generation Cole LCR will look like:
Side and front are solid cabinet-grade bamboo wood. Top plate is anodized black 3 mm aluminum. you'll notice that there are four tubes instead of two.
Actually, we are still using the same basic circuit except now we are paralleling the two halves of one dual triode to use it as one tube per stage per channel. This allows us increase the anode current to about 20 milliamps total for the two which gives us an even flatter frequency response due to a lower output impedance to drive the LCR and whatever is on the output side of the phonopreamplifier.
We are just building this one now and will report more as we get some results. I do know that the chassis material, especially when low-level signals are involved, as a great impact on the sound. The power supply box is still outboard however we are now using the 5AR4 rectifier tube mounted in the outboard power supply box. The box is made from aluminum plate so no more problems with magnetically induced vibration. All the AC voltage will stay within the box as we will all see use one of our filaments applies to drive the leaders of the dual triodes. We will also be using our all film capacitor universal power supply module (with one extra RC section at the end) which will be placed in the main unit.
Regards
Brian
Attachments
NewLook.jpg
brian
Regular Admin

Re: A Little Teaser -- Left over from the Panda

Postby admin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:52 pm

brian wrote:Sometime ago I mentioned that we would be using more bamboo in our products.
Brian

Oh, less for the Panda's to eat now :(
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm

I personally prefer these more classic looking designs with a wooden style chassis surround or wooden front, tubes on top and when the circuit can be easily accessed underneath by removing the base.
admin
Site Admin

Postby johnsonad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:27 am

Hi Brian, how is this project coming along?
johnsonad

Postby gnnett » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:12 am

And any chance of a peak at the inside to wet our appetites?

Cheers

Grantn
gnnett

Postby johnsonad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 am

Another bump

Brian, anyone, care to comment on the status of this project?
johnsonad

Postby brian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 am

Yes, the bamboo frames are waiting for me to go up to the factory and chase them home!
I will post soon as we get them here.
brian
Regular Admin

Return to General Discussion